Monday, May 4, 2009

Donating Blood

On Saturday Bonnie and I decided to be good girls and donate blood. We have a blood bank less than a mile away, so we went over there first thing. I haven't donated since high school, but I want to do what I can to help others out. While I was sitting in the chair with blood being drawn from my veins, the technician was asking me what else I was doing that day. I said that I had a hair appointment in the afternoon and a soccer game later that day. She made a funny face and said that I wasn't suppose to exercise for 24 hours after I donated, but said that I'd be fine as long as I hydrated a lot before the game. She also said that I wasn't suppose to be doing any heavy lifting for 24 hours too. Yeah right. I have two kids who like their mommy to hold them. Once I was done she wrapped my arm up and told me not to take it off for four hours. Okay whatever. As soon as I took the wrap off four hours later, I looked like a druggie. I have a huge purple bruise. Nice. On Sunday the bruise has grown some, but I think it is the blood just running down my arm a little more. I'm going to try to run by there today to see what they say caused it. The tech had a little of a hard time finding my vein, but I didn't think I'd look like this after doing a good thing.















2 comments:

Letti said...

Ouch it looks like it hurts. I need to give blood too I have O+ and they are always in need of that type.

*katie said...

I used to donate plasma in college and stopped after a horrible/terrible day of donating. They missed my vein or pierced it so for the first part of donating when they take the blood out, it was fine, but the second part where they put the blood back into your veins, it instead just went into my arm and it blew up all big and bruised REALLY bad! Needless to say, that was the last time I did that!!!!